Last Modified: January 9, 2020
When you use our Services, we collect information from and about you, your devices, and your interactions with the Services. Some of this information identifies you directly or can be used to identify you when combined with other data.
Information you provide
When using the Services, you may be asked to provide personal information about yourself, such as your name, contact information, payment information, home address, and financial information. This may occur, for example, when you register on the Platform, enter into a rental contract with us, submit to a background check, or interact with us for purposes of scheduling furniture deliveries. We may combine this information with other information we collect from your interaction with the Services or from other companies.
Some information you provide through the Services is collected and processed by third parties on our behalf. For example, when you order furniture, we collect your credit or debit card information. This information is collected and processed by third-party payment processors. In the event that a credit report is required to use the Services, you may be asked to provide your Social Security number ("SSN"). When SSNs are required, we use technology to pass that information directly to the third-party providers who need the information to process the credit or background check report.
Children Under 13
The Platform is not intended for children under 13 years of age and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Platform. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on the Platform or use any of the Services. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at: email@example.com .
The Platform may also include web beacons or pixels, which are electronic files to count users who have visited that page, to track activity over time and across different websites, to determine users’ interactions with emails we send, to identify certain cookies on the computer or other electronic device accessing that page, or to collect other related information, and this information may be associated with your unique browser, device identifier, or Internet Protocol address. We may, for example, implement a pixel on Platform where you view a certain advertisement so that we can track whether you visit a website associated with that advertisement at a later time.
Mobile device and mobile browser information
You may adjust settings on your mobile device and mobile browser regarding cookies and sharing of certain information, such as your mobile device model or the language your mobile device uses, by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device. Please refer to the instructions provided by your mobile service provider or mobile device manufacturer. If you enable location services on your mobile device, Inhabitr may collect the location of your device, which we use to provide you with location-based information and advertising. If you wish to deactivate this feature, you can disable location services on your mobile device.
We collect information about your use of our Services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to the Platform. We also collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, such as the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, mobile network information, and browsing behavior.
Calls and text messages
Calls between you and Inhabitr may be recorded or monitored for quality assurance and customer service purposes. You will be notified at the beginning of a call if it may be recorded or monitored.
You may provide information publicly through the Services, such as when you leave a review for furniture, or when you contribute to discussion forums.
Collection of information by third-party services
Some Services require collection of your information directly by third parties. Our third-party service providers include the following:
- Experian. Some of the Services allow you to use Experian Connect to request that a credit check be sent to Inhabitr. If you use the Experian Connect service, you agree to the Experian Connect Terms and Conditions, available at https://connect.experian.com/legal/terms.html .
- Apple Pay. Some of Inhabitr’s customers may choose to use Apple Pay to make payments to us, when and where available. If you choose to make payments via Apple Pay, you must have the appropriate Apple account and agree to, and abide by, the terms and conditions you accepted when signing up for the Apple Pay service.
- Amazon Pay. Some of Inhabitr’s customers may choose to use the Amazon Pay online payments system to make payments to us, when and where available. If you choose to make payments via Amazon, you must have the appropriate Amazon account and agree to, and abide by, the terms and conditions you accepted when signing up to use Amazon’s payment system.
How We Use Your Information
We generally use information collected about you to provide and improve the Services, including to:
- Provide and deliver the Services, process transactions and send related information such as confirmations and invoices;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events offered by Inhabitr and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Revise, modify, and update existing Services and develop new services;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Inhabitr and others;
- Personalize the Services and present you with advertising, content or features that we believe will be of interest or useful to you;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
You may receive email from Inhabitr for a variety of reasons - for example, if you took an action through the Services, you signed up for a regular report, or we are making you aware of system updates. If you have an account with Inhabitr, you can select your preferences through your account settings. Also, you can manage your receipt of some types of communication by following the instructions included in the email we send you. Please note that, even if you unsubscribe from certain email correspondences, we may still need to email you with important transactional or administrative information.
How We Share and Disclose Your Information
Your privacy is important and we are committed to protecting information that identifies you personally. We will only share personal information that you provide outside the public areas of the Services in the following circumstances:
- With your consent. This happens when you submit your information through many of our Services. For example, if you authorize a credit check or enter payment information, then you are consenting to our disclosing your information to our third-party services providers.
- Business transfers. If and when Inhabitr is involved in a merger, acquisition, or any form of transfer or sale of some or all of its business, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, we may share your personal information in connection with that transaction.
Inhabitr may also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Third-Party Links and Websites
Throughout the Services, we may link to the websites of other companies and/or individuals. Further, certain functionalities on the Services may involve the distribution of your personal information to third-party websites. These third-party websites may collect information about users on those websites, and this Policy does not extend to these external websites and third parties. Please refer directly to these third parties and websites regarding their privacy policies.
Security and Retention of Information
Inhabitr takes reasonable steps to protect the information users share with us from unauthorized use, access, and disclosure, both during transmission and at rest. However, no transmission of information via the Internet nor electronic storage solution can be entirely secure, so please be aware that we cannot guarantee absolute security.
You can access, update, and delete personal information you provide to Inhabitr in your account profile by logging into your account on the Platform. We may maintain a copy of the original version of your information in our records.
We will retain your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Transfer of Information to the United States
Inhabitr is based in the United States and you acknowledge that the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the United States, where you may not have the same rights and protections as you do under local law.
Government and Private Party Information Requests
Inhabitr may receive various forms of legal process from government agencies and private parties requesting information about Inhabitr users. Before we produce information, we will attempt to notify affected users and give them an opportunity to object unless notification is prohibited by law or if we believe that notification would create a risk of harm or be otherwise counterproductive.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of Platform that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at the address listed below under “Contacting Inhabitr.”
Attn: Privacy Coordinator
58 West Huron Street
Chicago IL 60611, USA